No More Roses, I want Tulips!

          Yesterday was Grandpa’s funeral, and the evening before was a viewing. I am so grateful that Grandma has been so strong. She was the last one standing at the viewing and the last one standing at the funeral. She must have had some extra strength from the Lord because it has been an exhausting week.
          I have been sad this week as we have been preparing for Grandpa’s funeral. I am very sad that Grandpa is gone, but he is in a better place. The funeral was very beautiful. Everyone that spoke did a wonderful job of reflecting on and honoring the life of Grandpa.
         When I came to the viewing I touched my granpa’s arm and took a moment to look and say good bye to my grandpa. Then I went and gave Grandma a hug. I feel really bad for crying hard in Grandma’s arms. I apologized that I was crying to her. She kept hugging me and said, “keep crying it’s ok”. At the end of the viewing all the cousin’s wrote valentines to Grandpa and tied them to a balloon. I thanked Grandpa for all the wonderful memories I have of him, and thanked him for his love and support. I wrote that I was so glad he got to meet my baby Sam.
         At the end of the funeral we let all of the balloons with the valentines go. I will think of my Grandpa often, and I will especially think of my grandpa on Valentines Day. I told James’ that I wanted to carry on Grandpa’s tradition of Tulips for Valentines Day. I said, “No more roses, I want Tulips”. Just as we were leaving the funeral, Sam was holding a picture of grandpa, and For the First Time Sam said Grandpa”. 
        Sam wont remember his great grandpa, but I will remember how grandpa loved to hold and play with Sam. Grandpa came to the hospital to visit when Sam was born. He stood at my bedside and wiggled his fingers at Sam. We could tell that Sam was aware of grandpa and his wiggly fingers, because he looked straight at Grandpa and watched his fingers wiggle.
         I am very blessed to have such a wonderful grandpa that knows and loves me. I am truly grateful for the unique relationship I have with my grandpa. I have many wonderful memories with my grandpa that I will cherish forever.
        My grandpa was a wonderful man that many people loved. 
I will miss my grandpa.

Comments

  1. The Richardsons2/21/10, 5:25 PM

    Sigh. I can't exactly see what I am typing, cause there are tears in my eyes. You definately are lucky to have been born into a family with such a wonderful grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang, so sorry to hear about your Grandpa! He was a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts